What happens when the whole state comes together to advocate for and support the fight against hunger? Big things! The Minnesota FoodShare March Campaign does just that by working to keep 300 food shelves across the state operating throughout the year.
March is historically the month where food shelves receive the fewest donations. The campaign encourages individuals, businesses, faith communities, schools, and other organizations to support their local food shelf during the month of March. In 2016 we saw the most successful March Campaign to date, with over $7.9 million raised and 5.2 million pounds of food donated. This was raised by a variety of organizations coming together to raise money and food for their community.
A number of the Minnesota Hunger Initiative partners are participating in the Minnesota FoodShare March Campaign. Here is a list of those organizations with a link to information on their food or fund drives:
ICA Food Shelf
Keystone Community Services
Northpoint Health and Wellness Center
Pillsbury United Communities
Second Harvest Heartland
Aside from donating food and money directly to the organizations, there are also many fun ways to get involved in the Minnesota FoodShare March Campaign. Here is a list of the Partners of the Campaign and Events they have planned:
- CRAVE Restaurants: Minnesota FoodShare has been chosen to be the CRAVE Cares charity for the month of March. Stop into one of their six locations in Minnesota.
- Finnegans Brewing: 100% of beer proceeds will be benefiting the Minnesota FoodShare March Campaign. Finnegans will also be marching with March Out Hunger in the St. Paul St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Participate in the Chef Food Fight by going to Finnegans, trying one of their dishes participating in the Chef Food Fight, going online and voting for it, and then a portion of the sales will be go to the Minnesota FoodShare March Campaign.
- Wedge Community Co-op: Round up at your next trip to Wedge Community Co-op and that money will go toward the Minnesota FoodShare March Campaign.
- BOB FM: BOB FM will be putting on a Minnesota FoodShare Benefit Concert on Thursday, March 16 at Le Musique Room in St. Michael. Come see Gravel Roads and special guest Two Hicks & A Chick. 100% of the artist’s proceeds will go to the Minnesota FoodShare March Campaign.
- Twin Cities Brackets for Good: Minnesota FoodShare is one of the organizations participating in the Twin Cities Brackets for Good, you can follow the action and donate online here.
- Schwan’s: When placing your online order with Schwan’s, you can designate a portion of your sales to go to Minnesota FoodShare.