Hunger Solutions Minnesota was founded in 2001 with the merging of the Minnesota Food Bank Network and the Minnesota Food Shelf Association. Since their beginning, they have grown tremendously, and their impact can be seen very easily. Their work is simple: ensuring food security for all Minnesotans. They do this through their programs that work to end hunger by strengthening Minnesota’s food shelves through funding and technical assistance, connecting organizations and individuals working to end hunger in Minnesota, and advancing fair public nutrition policies on behalf of hungry Minnesotans. Some measures of their success include:
- Helping over 30,000 people find food shelves and food banks, as well as assisting with SNAP enrollment through their Minnesota Food Helpline since its start in 2009.
- Providing over $2 million in grants to food shelves in crisis through their Food Shelf Capacity Building Program.
- Distributing over 12 million pounds of food to food banks in Minnesota through The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP).
Hunger Solutions is also dedicated to advocating for hunger relief in Minnesota. Hunger Day on the Hill is one way that they do just that. There will be briefings on key legislative issues relating to hunger. The event is free and open to anyone, but it is requested that you register in advance. Here are some details about Hunger Day on the Hill 2017:
- Time and Date: Monday, March 13 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Location: Minnesota State Capitol
75 Rev Dr Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard
L’Etoile du Nord Vault (Room B15)
St. Paul, MN 55155
- Parking is available throughout the Capitol Complex. There is also parking available behind Hunger Solutions’ offices at 555 Park Street, St. Paul, MN 55103